About the CHRI Certification
The Certification in Healthcare Revenue Integrity (CHRI) credential provides a trusted baseline of competency for revenue integrity professionals in healthcare settings.
NAHRI has launched a new, easy-to-use online application for our CHRI credential exam and recertification process at chri.simplifycertifications.com. This system allows for timely submission, approval, and payment of certification and recertification applications. As a result of these changes, we are no longer accepting paper applications or payment by check.
Please have your contact information, work and education history, and credit card payment information available when you start the application process. Prior to submitting your application, you must review the CHRI Exam Handbook.
If you have questions about this process, please contact Customer Service at 800-650-6787.
NAHRI members can access our online application with their nahri.org username and password. If you do not have a nahri.org username and password, select the "Register" option on chri.simplifycertifications.com and create a new CHRI application account.
Do you need to know your recertification due date or verify an individual's certification? Click here for a list of CHRI holders.
Background for developing CHRI
Healthcare revenue integrity professionals play an integral role in the financial health of their organizations. As this field grows, it is critical to ensure healthcare revenue integrity professionals have a means of demonstrating their competency in core skills relevant to their roles within their organizations. The CHRI credential offers revenue integrity professionals the opportunity to hone and validate their knowledge base while ensuring facilities have a benchmark by which to measure the competency of their staff and to recruit team members who are committed to bringing value to the industry and staying abreast of changes in regulations and best practices.
Formation of the CHRI credential committee
The CHRI credential committee originated with a group of experienced NAHRI Advisory Board members and expanded to include NAHRI members from various backgrounds to ensure the CHRI exam outline and content, prerequisites, and recertification requirements meet acceptable industry standards and are properly vetted.
Committee members include:
April Brown, MSHI, BSN RN, CCM, CRCR; Tracy Cahoon; MBA; Julia Carter, CPAR; Stephanie M. Giberson, MS, CHFP, CRCR, RHIT, FAHIMA; Mary Beth Hauge, MS, RHIA; Ronald Hirsch, MD, FACP, CHCQM; Lisa Kanivetsky, BA, CPC; Rayleen M. Kelly, RN, CCDS, CIC, CRC; Julie Leonard, CPC, CCS, CPCO, CRCR, ACS-AN, RCC; Lisa Longo, CPC, CPC-I; Debbie Mackaman, RHIA, CPCO, CCDS; Rebecca Moore, MSA; Angela A. Musey, RN, MBA, MACC; Debbie Nash, MBA; Lois Nelson, RN, BS; Elaine O’Bleness, MBA, RHIA, CDIP, CHP, CRCR; Valerie Rinkle, MPA; Celeste Rucker, RHIT, CCS; Anna Santoro, MBA, CCS, CCS-P, RCC; Donna Schneider, RN, MBA, CPHQ, CPC-P, CHC, CPCO, CHPC; John D. Settlemyer, MBA, MHA, CPC; Marie Smith; Shannon Uhrmacher, BBA; Donna J. Warwick, BS, CHDA, CCS, CTR; Diane G. Weiss, CPC, CPB, CCP; Meagen Windler-Hacker; Kim Yelton, RHIA, CCS, CDIP.
CHRI mission and core competencies
The mission of the CHRI credential is to ensure healthcare revenue integrity professionals are recognized for their due diligence in their field and dedication to professional growth. The CHRI credential can help new and veteran revenue integrity professionals demonstrate knowledge of revenue integrity core competencies. Professionals who earn the CHRI credential have proven their proficiency in rules and regulations, compliance, revenue management, and internal reporting strategies.
The objectives of the CHRI program are as follows:
- Recognize the valuable contributions and knowledge base of healthcare revenue integrity professionals who have proven competency in revenue integrity subject matter through successful completion of the certification process
- Promote knowledge of core skills relevant to the revenue integrity field, including mastery of relevant rules and regulations; ability to perform root cause analysis; aptitude for managing denials and appeals; knowledge of monitoring and auditing practices; assurance of accuracy of charge description master pricing structures and codes; understanding of coding, documentation, and billing requirements; and skill to develop internal reporting strategies that identify trends and solve problems
- Assist healthcare facilities in ensuring staff have the knowledge and experience necessary to perform essential revenue-related job functions and bring value to the organization
CHRI exam outline
The CHRI exam is made up of the following four parts:
- Education (25%)
- Compliance (25%)
- Revenue (25%)
- Reporting (25%)
CHRI exam candidates are encouraged to refer to our full exam outline to ensure they are prepared for the exam.
Looking for additional guidance on the CHRI exam? View our free webinar presented by the CHRI Credential Committee.
If you are looking for the latest in revenue integrity education, NAHRI recommends using one or more of the following:
- NEW - CHRI Practice Exam
- Revenue Integrity and Chargemaster Boot Camp (NAHRI members save $150)
- Revenue Integrity Symposium (NAHRI members save $100)
- Revenue Integrity Essential Skills Online Learning
- Core Functions of Revenue Integrity
- The Revenue Integrity Manager's Guidebook
- The Chargemaster Essentials Toolkit
- Medicare Billing Edits: Solving NCCI and MUEs
Please note the aforementioned resources were not intentionally developed to mirror the CHRI exam outline, but can prove helpful in staying up to date on content relevant to the revenue integrity profession.
To ensure candidates understand the latest regulatory guidance, the CHRI Credential Committee recommends familiarity with the following:
- The Federal Register
- OIG guidance
- Medicare Internet-Only Manuals
- CMS Conditions of Participation
- ICD-10-CM/PCS coding book
- CPT® coding book
- HCPCS Level II coding book
- Official UB-04 Data Specifications Manual
- National Coverage Determinations
- NCCI Policy Manual
- NUBC and NUCC Claims Manuals